Friday, February 13, 2009

Casting

Hey guys,
It's me Spencer Smith. I'm gaffer on The Devil's Company as well as filling random odd jobs as they come up.

Today I got to help out Kevin Hildalgo with casting for the characters of Zach and Carmen. While Kevin did the talking and all the other cool casting director stuff, I got to help out by working camera. This actress named Rachel helped us out by doing the reading. She's also helping out another ICF grad with his movie called "Car Ride with Claire"

We ourselves up in a little casting facility called "Cazt" in West Hollywood. It a pretty neat little place, pretty basic. They set us up in a little room with a desk, some chairs, and the most, or lack of a better word, adorable little HD camera in the world.

For the casting of Carmen, Antoine wrote up a little piece of dialogue between Carmen and Zane, just something for the talent to act out to see who has a better feel for the character. All of the actresses who came in brought something distinct and wonderful to the character. I had a drama teacher in high school once tell me, "There are no small roles, just small actors". All of these actresses approached the role in a such a completely different manner. I'm anxious to see which one Antoine picks.

Well, thats all from me. But I just wanted to give you a little bit of my thoughts on casting. I had a lot of fun doing it.

- Spencer Smith (Gaffer/Everyman)

No comments: