Monday, February 9, 2009

First gun outting!

Hey everyone! I'm Courtney Case, I'll be playing the part of Jade in The Devil's Company. I'm really excited to be working on this project and have been since the first time Antoine said I looked cool with a gun in my hand.

So anyway, today I shot my first gun. I shot quite a few actually and I'm still learning so forgive me if I forget what some of them were. One of my teachers, Charles Currier, from my acting conservatory, AMDA took me and let me use his guns. My first gun was this tiny, antique .22 caliber pistol. Super cute, really, didn't exactly make me feel hardcore, but it was a good first shot and easy to shoot. Then, I shot two different kinds of semi-auto .45 pistols. The first was black metal, totally sleek, Jade's kind of gun and the other (my personal favorite) was a stainless steel Colt., like the one in the pciture. It was really surreal to be shooting it because I've spent so much timing wanting to shoot a gun, but I got the hang of it kind of quickly (don't get me wrong, it still need a LOT of practice) and it was just so empowering to hold on to. I liked these two 'cause that had just enough recoil and were really well weighted.

I shot a revolver next and the weight, recoil, and all around difficulty really shocked me. It was a pretty old-school revolver, but the trigger was way harder to pull and it was just in general hard to control the gun. Then I shot two of your basic police/detective looking guns, black 9mm with plastic base/handle/whatever that is... anyway, they were fun to shoot, way more recoil and therefore harder to control the targeting. These guns made me want to conquer them because I swear there were like 3 shots that didn't even make the targets and I just kept thinking, "I will learn how to shoot this freaking gun." Just for the fun of it, at the end we shot a couple shot guns which was SO intense! The other guns got me excited and I felt bad-ass, but with the shotguns, I was a little afraid. They're so heavy! And have SO much power.

All in all the experience was really great, I'm totally pumped about learning how to do this more. I'm not gonna lie, there wasn't a lot of character work going on today, it was mostly just Courtney learning how to handle a gun, but now that I can do that, then I can go back with Jade in mind and shoot her guns.

- Courtney Case (Jade)